It has been almost three years and I am still carrying some of my pregnancy weight. I was promised that it would all disappear as soon as I begin breastfeeding, but that didn't happen. I was more hungrier during breast feeding than ever, so instead of loosing weight, I gained. Following the weight I was informed of another theory that once I stop breastfeeding I would loose weight and magically get back to my initial weight, that obviously didn't happen. So I waited, until my mom forced me to take her diet book that she once used many years ago. I agreed. Let me tell you, it was just pure torture. A book called the "Beverly Hills diet" that supposedly makes you loose 20 pounds in one month. I was against it but tried it out of pure curiosity. I lasted three days. The feeling of dizziness, headaches, and life leaving my body was enough! I was so dizzy and hardly functioning, I wasn't sure how I made it to work. I knew way too well that living off of just fruit was not the way to go. One day was purely pineapple, another was just watermelon. Honestly, this was crazy. Throwing sugar into your body, without any healthy vegetables and exercise is not a healthy way to maintain ones body. So after this fun three day adventure I had enough. At this point I decided to make a change in my life and put myself onto my own diet plan, except this wasn't a diet plan, it was a change of lifestyle. I don't believe in diets where you loose weight fast and the next month you gain it all back. I believe in a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. What does this mean? It means that you cut out all the junk that you are used to eating and add in exercise. Changing your lifestyle means changing your daily life.
Here are my tips:
Daily Life Changes
1. Limit stress - although not all stress can just be eliminated with a snap of a finger, cut out at least the things that you can control
2. Go to sleep early - if you are asleep you can't be munching on late night snacks
Did you know that there have been results from studies showing how sleep and weight gain is related. According to Dr. Hensrud from Mayo Clinic, "... women who slept less than six hours a night or more than nine hours were more likely to gain 11 pounds (5 kilograms) compared with women who slept seven hours a night" (Mayo Clinic ). No wonder as a sleep deprived mom its hard to loose those extra pounds!
3. Cut out social media after dark - limit looking at food websites/blogs that can make you crave food after dinner
1. Start your day with a healthy, homemade smoothie
2. Cut out carbs such as rice, pasta, and bread (you can substitute with brown rice, quinoa pasta, zoodles, miracle noodles (yam noodles), and gluten free bread at first) It is better not to consume carbs for faster results
3. Get rid of all the junk food in your pantry. No crackers, chips, or candy.
4. Speaking of candy, get rid of it. Get rid of all processed sugars. If you crave sweets switch to natural sugars such as in fruits or Stevia. Dried fruit is also a delicious snack. However, for faster weight loss remove all sugars
5. Say goodbye to caffeine. Substitute with green tea which is actually great for loosing weight! Chicory root is also an amazing substitute. It tastes like coffee but without the caffeine.
6. Reduce dairy products to yogurt or Kefir which have great probiotic features that can help restore your good gut flora. Choose plain ones without any sugars added
7. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated!
If you really want to see a big change in one month, you have to put in the effort. Exercising six days a week will bring you the results you seek. Just be careful and don't over do it at first. Start slow in your workout routines and build up. Choose a favorite workout or class that will make you happy to go to the gym for. My passion has become cycling! It's so nice to have my peaceful time when I can workout and focus on things important to me.
When you start, remember that results take time! COMMIT TO CHANGE. Make this a LIFESTYLE CHANGE not just a temporary solution.